[Wanted poster, offering a reward for information leading to the capture of Ned Kelly], 13 December 1878
This poster, made of calico, offers a £2,500 reward for information leading to the capture of Edward (Ned) Kelly, Dan Kelly, Steve Hart and Joe Byrne (later known as the Kelly Gang), or £1,000 for the capture of Ned Kelly. The back lists display locations for copies.
The poster is dated 13 December 1878, less than two months after the murder of Constable Thomas Lonigan, Sergeant Michael Kennedy and Constable Michael Scanlon at Stringybark Creek.
The poster came into the collection of Sir William Dixson in 1939. Find out about the history of this poster at its catalogue record.
The State Library of New South Wales began a major retrospective cataloguing project in 2008 to create over 1 million electronic records and provide access to many of the treasures in our collection. As the project draws to a close, we are highlighting some of the gems found along the way in this “Discoveries in the Stacks” series.
16 Notes/ Hide
- perfectcoma likes this
- legalanswersnsw likes this
- mib55 reblogged this from statelibrarynsw
- mib55 likes this
- historyatrisk likes this
- coeurdelhistoire reblogged this from statelibrarynsw
- yourwifesbathbuddie reblogged this from statelibrarynsw
- yourwifesbathbuddie likes this
- inscener likes this
- dendroica likes this
- deepestmalady likes this
- thegreythatmatters likes this
- peashooters-personal reblogged this from statelibrarynsw
- peashooter85 likes this
- coolchicksfromhistory likes this
- statelibrarynsw posted this